Subject: Re: installing a pkg on multiple machines?
To: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/12/1998 19:19:36
On Sat, Sep 12, 1998 at 05:49:02PM +0100, Julian Coleman wrote:

> This may be a stupid question but ... if your /usr/pkg is NFS
> mounted, why do you need to register the package installations
> on the clients?

  Because the computer I sit at is one of the clients.  :)  I'm
lazy -- I currently know 11 different root passwords off the
top of my head, none of which is the server!  In general, I do
package stuff on the machine for which I already have a root
window open for other reasons, or I'll su as root on my client
if I have no root windows open.  We probably run a more symmetric
arrangement than most, though.

> It would be nice to say 'version 1.3 or later' but I wonder how
> you will know which versions will or won't be compatible in the
> future!

  I didn't phrase it right in my first post.  I meant something
like, when a pkg goes to 1.4, the maintainer knows 1.3 and 1.4
will all work for everything, and sets the DEPENDS for other
packages to something like `version {1.3,1.4}', so it's not as
open-ended as `1.3 or later' like I said.

  Brian
--
"...and the particle undergoes a BOINNNNG..." - Dr. Dunning, PHYS 202