Subject: Re: installing a pkg on multiple machines?
To: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/12/1998 17:49:02
Brian C. Grayson wrote:
>   I'd also suggest adding a few notes on how to share /usr/pkg
> over NFS, and how to set it up so that you can install package
> A on machine X, and have machine Y notice that it's been
> installed into the shared /usr/pkg.  My ugly hack was to set up
> two symlinks on all the machines:
> /usr/pkg --symlink-> /usr/local (which was already NFS-shared),
> and /var/db/pkg --symlink-> /usr/pkg/pkg.db,
> but I'm sure there are more elegant ways to do this.

This may be a stupid question but ... if your /usr/pkg is NFS
mounted, why do you need to register the package installations
on the clients?

Ruibiao Qiu wrote:
> What I did is to ``pkg_delete -f I-1.3".  This seems to work for
> me.

I must admit I used `pkg_delete -f`.  Packages that were dependent
on the previous version can't find the file to delete their
dependency when you remove them, but I haven't have any problems
so far.

It would be nice to say 'version 1.3 or later' but I wonder how
you will know which versions will or won't be compatible in the
future!

    1024/55A5BC19        0F 3F 62 56 18 10 8B 84  43 8F F4 94 93 37 76 AA

S.E.P.