Subject: Re: installing a pkg on multiple machines?
To: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/11/1998 12:07:34
On Fri, Sep 11, 1998 at 09:32:42AM +0100, Julian Coleman wrote:
> PS.  Should there be a 'common problems' section to the package
> documentation?  Something like :

  [ Good suggestions deleted -- see current-users for them. ]

  I'd also suggest adding a few notes on how to share /usr/pkg
over NFS, and how to set it up so that you can install package
A on machine X, and have machine Y notice that it's been
installed into the shared /usr/pkg.  My ugly hack was to set up
two symlinks on all the machines:
/usr/pkg --symlink-> /usr/local (which was already NFS-shared),
and /var/db/pkg --symlink-> /usr/pkg/pkg.db,
but I'm sure there are more elegant ways to do this.

  Another thing that has bit me, and might be worth a note, is:

  pkg A through G use pkg H (aka Xaw3d :) version 1.3.  Now you
  want to install pkg I, which also depends on H, but in the
  meantime H has been upgraded to 1.4, but there's not a major
  difference between 1.3 and 1.4, so they can be used
  interchangeably.  In order to install I, you'll need to
  install H 1.4, but first you need to deinstall H 1.3, but
  that means deinstalling A through G and recompiling them all.
  Add a few more dependencies (like gv on gs, and all sorts of
  stuff on xpm), and you end up with a nasty dependence graph,
  and have to pretty much deinstall and rebuild _everything_,
  which is a pain for any of your users who are logged in
  during that time trying to get work done with executables
  mysteriously disappearing and reappearing.  :)  At least that
  has been my experience with xpm and Xaw3d a few weeks/months
  ago.

  My quick hack has been, edit I's Makefile and change the
dependence to be on H 1.3.  Nothing has broken -- yet.  :)

  There isn't currently any way to say ``any version from 1.3
through 1.5'' or ``version 1.3 or later'' is there?  It'd be
handy in this situation.

  The pkg stuff is very cool!

  Brian
--
"With the current trend towards 'Object Oriented Programming,' programmers
must be continually aware of the inherent problems, primarily the 'OOPs'