Subject: depends with wildcards in pkg_*
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/05/1998 02:04:24
[I do *not* talk about bsd.pkg.mk here!]

Currently, if a pkg has some dependency with a wildcard in it (foo-*,
bar>=97, ...), this fails to automatically install this package from
pkg_add, as the name of the depending package is taken verbatime to create
a filename that's handled to pkg_add then.

To improve this, pkg_add needs to look for a (binary!) package matching
the requested dependency, and then install it.

Issues here:
1. it should make a "best" match, chosing the binary package to be as
   current as possible (i.e. the highest version available)
2. the implementation for "local" packages (i.e. on local storage) would
   be to not use "base/package" but scan "base" for a binary package
   matching the given wildcard best (see above), and using that one then.
3. When installing via an ftp://-link, I dont' really see a possibility
   here to do the same, until someone comes up with some
   opendir()/readdir() workalike for FTP. Any suggestions here?

Is there something missing? Suggestions?

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>