Subject: Re: pkgtools diffs
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/26/1998 12:56:59
On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Tim Rightnour wrote:

> Another concern that just popped into my head.. is people who *never* build
> thier own packages, and only use the binaries.  Will it ever know to upgrade
> thier binaries for them, will they just have things bomb out on them at some
> point?

Give each binary package a minimum version number of pkg_add
necessary to install it. pkg_add would compare that to its own and
ask for an upgrade if the package wanted a higher version.

The pkg_* package itself could be carefully crafted not to require
anything beyond what our current pkg_add can do, and have the
pkg_add required version set to 0.

This could be integrated with the other version numbers in my
proposal to this list a while back.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite mist, software reverberates