Subject: Re: pkgtools diffs
To: None <proff@iq.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/26/1998 11:20:53
On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 proff@iq.org wrote:

: > > : I'm also a bit concerned about having two pkg_delete (for
: > > : example) binaries on one system, and the choice of which one is used
: > > : depending on order of directories in your path.

: > Isn't there some way we could transcend this whole problem, such as
: > naming the ones in /usr/sbin something different to begin with (to
: > distinguish them as something you only use during "bootstrap")?

: This isn't an issue. just have a database that includes version
: information related to its structure.

It is an issue.  Someone with, say, 1.3.1 has very `old' pkg tools.  If that
person wanted to install pkgs made with `new' pkg tools, it would fail.  So
the person goes and installs the pkgtools pkg, but /usr/pkg/sbin isn't in
the path or is later in the path than /usr/sbin.  He goes to install the new
pkg again, and it fails again.  He mails tech-pkg complaining about it.

See?