Subject: Re: PAPERSIZE
To: Kimmo Suominen <kim@tac.nyc.ny.us>
From: Alistair Crooks <azcb0@amdahl.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/18/1998 03:15:36
> In pkgsrc/mk/mk.conf.example we list the supported values for PAPERSIZE.
> There we have "Letter", not "letter".  While psutils requires "letter"
> to build properly, we unfortunately cannot set PAPERSIZE to that without
> breaking other packages (e.g. a2ps and enscript).
>
> I'd like to stick to a set of PAPERSIZE values that can be used on all
> packages.  I committed another version of pkgsrc/print/psutils/Makefile
> that tries to modify PAPERSIZE appropriately.

PAPERSIZE is horrible, an artefact of the FreeBSD ports system,
and must die.  I wouldn't mind, but it's usually the *DEFAULT*
papersize.

What I'd like to do is to install the pkgs which use a default
PAPERSIZE with a sensible default - either A4 or Letter (and I'm
not going to get into another argument with Charles over this -
for obvious reasons, this will be A4 :-)).

I'd also like a simple shell script (called setpapersize), wrapped
up as a package, which will test for the presence of various config
files (etc/a2ps.conf, etc), and, if they exist, to set the default
paper size to the value of the argument, if it passes a sanity
check.

Then all packages which use PAPERSIZE at the moment can have a
dependency on setpapersize inserted into their Makefiles.

Unfortunately, this will mean that we have to lose the
a2ps-${PAPERSIZE}-4.10 type of package bloat (i.e. binary packages
which differ only on the value of one setting in their installed
config files), but you can't have everything.

This is also another step on the road to reducing the number of
non-essential variables in /etc/mk.conf.

Alistair