Subject: Another revision to xpkgwedge
To: None <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/15/1998 21:52:13
I want to run by all present before adding this change to xpkgwedge that may
solve the remaining problems with pkgs (app-defaults and, most importantly,
fonts).  If this change sounds OK, I'll add the code and bump xpkgwedge to

I'd like to have xpkgwedge symlink ${LOCALBASE}/lib/X11/{app-defaults,fonts}
to their appropriate directories in ${X11BASE}/lib/X11.

- No need to set XAPPLRESDIR to catch app-defaults.
- No need to hack up the X servers to find the fonts.  (BIG plus.)

- The packages won't install entirely into ${LOCALBASE} - app-defaults and
  fonts will go into ${X11BASE}, but pkg_* and PLISTs won't know that.
- X pkgs will be told to depend directly on xpkgwedge:  xpkgwedge will
  be required in order to install binary X pkgs.

I've already handled the "upgrading from older xpkgwedge" problem
(app-defaults/fonts already existing in ${LOCALBASE}) in my code.  The above
lists the various reasons for and against changing it in this way; please
give me your comments.

-- Todd Vierling (Personal; Bus.