Subject: a few PLIST related questions
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/13/1998 23:01:33
So I'm now really close to finishing up this (now several month long)
packaging effort for scilab-2.4.  I have created a 6330 entry PLIST for
this beast and have a couple of questions.

1)  Several subdirectories are created.  Should those be listed the same
    way as files or only at the end as
    @dirrm subdirname

2)  There has been a lot of talk about checksums lately.  I don't
    completely understand where that comes in so I'll ask this one.
    The "normal" install procedure for the program (ie not in our
    package environment) is
    make all
    make tarbindist
    cd final_destination_directory
    tar -zxvf name_of_tarbindist_file_just_created
    make

    The final 'make' sees that you have extracted a binary distribution of
    the program and it goes in to a couple of scripts and hard codes the
    path names (using sed).

    Anyway, my question is then, is this a problem?  I can easily add an
    install target that does this, but the exact contents of a couple of
    the installed files will vary depending on ${PREFIX}.  Will this be
    a problem if this is made into a binary package?  Do I need to do
    something extra to make it go correctly?

Thanks for any advice and also thanks to all the package people.  This has
been a very very nice feature of NetBSD.

--Dan