Subject: Re: Machine-specific config dirs
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/13/1998 19:41:20
On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Curt Sampson wrote:

: > > I'd like to see us settle on a "third party etc dir" that bundles the pkg
: > > stuff in one place, rather than littering /etc with a bunch more directories
: > > and files - perhaps /etc/pkg (as in /etc/pkg/samba/configfilename)?

: I'm happier with it in /etc than anywhere else. If I've got a shared
: /usr across a bunch of workstations, I really don't want them all
: sharing the same ssh key. :-)

I think you missed the point that perry doesn't care about:  pkgs using /etc
are littering /etc, and there isn't a clean way of knowing what /etc files
affect pkgs, and which ones are for the base system.

I proposed /etc/pkg/... which doesn't preclude having them in /etc
(obviously, they are in /etc).