Subject: Re: MySQL Running as Ingres
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/13/1998 15:58:29
On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> IIRC, we've aggreed to use one user per database, to prevent one thing
> (maybe via some DoS or accident or whatever) thrash the others. See the
> postgres pkg for an example of a pkg creating its own user.

Ok, I've looked at this, and we now have a different problem.  From
what I've seen, because of the way this is done, you can't have a
binary package for postgresql at this time. So it seems to me that
we have to do one of the following things:

1. Make sure that we have pgsql,mysql,msql etc. users in /etc/passwd
for 1.4, so we can have binary packages for 1.4.

2. Add appropriate commands to the binary packages to add the user.

3. Just use a single generic database user, ingres for the moment.

4. Leave it as is, and not have binary packages.

Which do we want?

> Ewww - rather /usr/pkg/db/mysql....

This seems fine for data. I'm wondering if we shouldn't make it
/usr/pkg/data/mysql, so we have an area for other `data for servers
running on that machine'? Then we could potentially change apache
like this:

    /usr/pkg/apache/conf	-> /usr/pkg/etc/apache
    /usr/pkg/apache/htdocs	-> /usr/pkg/data/htdocs
    /usr/pkg/apache/logs	-> /var/log/apache

On the other hand, that just might confuse the hell out of those
who are used to apache's way of doing things. I've spent years
debating the `one directory per application' versus the `all logs
here, all configs there, etc.' way of doing things, and not gotten
very far.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite mist, software reverberates