Subject: Re: RPATH (was Re: new packages)
To: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/10/1998 11:49:05
On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Ross Harvey wrote:

: If you only meant that as a quick example of a pretty-looking option, then
: that brings up a Posix issue. I don't keep Posix specs around other than
: 1003.1 but IIRC -Wx,yyy,zzz... is a Posix-blessed syntax for pushing options
: yyy,zzz...  through to pass x, and now we are only talking about saving
: two characters, right?

More than saving two characters - it's about whether or not to assemble
rpath "automagically" like the Slowlaris linker does.  It breaks in two
cases which I already stated in a message you may not have seen: cross
compilations (such as compiling for an older release of NetBSD), or
in-source-tree linking.