Subject: Re: md5 checksums in pkg PLISTS
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/10/1998 10:15:26
On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Tim Rightnour wrote:

: #  Note the positional behavior of this:  you can specify the actual file which
: #  will be in the PLIST, and then immediately after it specify where that
: #  config goes--something like an implied %F.  This could even be interpreted
: #  by pkgsrc and not directly understood by the pkg_* tools (pkgsrc could
: #  translate into an @exec).
:
: I don't like this.  I would want the pkg tools to be able to figure this out,
: and on a deinstall *save the config somewhere*.

The intent is not to delete the editable config files -- _ever_.  That is
all up to the end user.

The @config line should be translated to something similar to:

@exec [ -f %D/etc/pine.conf ] || cp -p %F %D/etc/pine.conf

That way, it will create a skeleton config on first install, never checksum
the editable file, and not delete or overwrite that file ever.

: #  Oh, btw, share/examples is where example config files should go.
:
: Should and do aren't allways the same.. we are all human.. (I try my best
: though! :)

"Point of information," I guess.  Education is what it's all about....