Subject: re: procmail package?
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/07/1998 23:36:24
On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, matthew green wrote:

:    It's a MDA, and can function as a replacement for mail.local.  It has to be
:    able to setuid() to the destination user in order to write to that user's
:    mailbox securely (and on systems where /var/mail is mode 755, in order to
:    create a nonexistent mailbox).

: i know *why* you _might_ want to make it setuid.  but why is this the
: default?  hell, don't make my system possibly more insecure without
: even telling you're doing it or give me a chance to disable it!

chmod -s /usr/pkg/bin/{procmail,lockfile}.  Your choice; that's all you
have to do.

As I explained to Mr. Woods, our default MDA requires the setuid for use of
procmail to do anything other than a ~/.forward filter.