Subject: Re: Package Variants
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/07/1998 22:07:38
On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Curt Sampson wrote:

: I'm thinking now that the easiest thing to do (if not the most
: economical on disk space) is to just have separate pacakges:
:
:     php3	CGI version
:     ap-php3	Apache module version
:
: This, of course, means that those of us compiling it end up having
: two full copies of the source tree around, and there are two separate
: things to update when a new version comes out.

This produces two binary versions, right?  It's just as economical on disk
space in that case after install, just not during build.  Look at Pine vs.
pico - same deal.  This is actually a very good way of doing it, I do
believe.

Now, do remember that the PATCHDIR (and even FILESDIR) can be overridden in
your pkg Makefile if you want to have, say, a shared md5 and shared patches.
Just put them into one of the pkgs' directories (say, php3) and point the
other one at it via a PATCHDIR=../../category/pkgname/patches construct.