Subject: Re: md5 checksums in pkg PLISTS
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/06/1998 22:44:44
On 06-Aug-98 Todd Vierling spoke unto us all:
#  AFAIK, pkg_delete doesn't actually fail, it just prints the message, deletes
#  everything but the changed files, and that's it.  That's at least how it
#  works for me with the pine pkg (for which I modify pine.conf).

Well.. I meant the fact that (I'm assuming) it exits with EXIT_FAILURE or
similar.

#  Problem is, programs can change config file formats as versions change.  A
#  tag would be good, and I'd rather suggest making the upgrade process move
#  the files to <filename>.orig, not copy them back.

Maybe not copy them back.. but they do need to be preserved.. If a pkg_delete
operation wants to go and wipe out a whole subdir tree, it might get ugly in
there..  The idea being.. a @config register would tell a future version of
pkg_delete to copy it out to /tmp, and then the new addition would copy it back
in as .orig.  For now we could use it to simply copy it out and say "hey, I
left your old config in /tmp, go get it if you still need it"

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html