Subject: Re: Dealing with "secret" subdirectories on the MASTER_SITE
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/06/1998 19:48:13

http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/.

> I plan on making the docs for libtool much easier to understand.  Explaining
> it to Tim Rightnour cleared it all up in my own head, and I think we both
> fully understand it now.  :>

Wonderful.  I've been thinking I should learn more about libtool, but I
haven't had time to get to it yet.  Are you going to post a pointer to the
docs when you're done with them?

> : > * I couldn't find any simple method of having make automatically
> : >   retrieve the distribution files.  I had to get those by hand.
> :
> : The Makefile in NetBSD's security/rsaref package has a special
> : "do-fetch" rule to deal with the "secret" subdirectory.
>
> This is the kind of method that really should be used.  Make note of the
> blank "fetch-list" rule - this is very important, as the rule _must_
> succeed, but you can't give any useful information in a case like this.
>
> : Would it make sense to put that logic into bsd.pkg.mk?
>
> No.  There's way too many ways of having this information hidden on a site.
> (Think HTTP forms.  ;)  It's easier just to let each pkg deal with it.

In fact, krb5 seems to have changed to a form-based interface from the one
I seem to recall.  Ick.

However, there probably is a lot of overlap between different packages.
It wouldn't be surprising for the majority of "secret" packages to hide
themselves in very similar ways.  We might not be able to handle every
case, but maybe we could make things easier for *most* cases.  Just a
thought.

Chris

Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu
           Mad scientist at large                    cjones@nervana.montana.edu