Subject: Re: md5 checksums in pkg PLISTS
To: None <root@garbled.net>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@ics.muni.cz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/06/1998 22:10:29
> Do we need a sane way of dealing with config files?  It seems like having the
> pkg_delete operation fail is going to lead to trouble when trying to make an
> automated upgrade process at some point..

I like SGI scheme of dealing with config files. After upgrade new ones
are named config_file.N or old ones config_file.O depending on whether
the new version of software has compatible config format.
If old installed default config file is not touched by admin it is even
directly overwritten with new default setup.

Their software manager has option "Test for the presence of configuration files
that need to be merged or updated -- whether any configuration files with an
associated .N or .O version were found."

> Perhaps we need a way to tag config files, so an upgrade keeps them from being
> overwritten..

Yes.

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
           If God had meant for us to be in the Army,