Subject: Re: md5 checksums in pkg PLISTS
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/06/1998 08:40:25
On 06-Aug-98 Todd Vierling spoke unto us all:
#  On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Tim Rightnour wrote:
#
# : Is there a way to turn off md5 checksums for certain files in a PLIST?  The
# : reason I bring this up is stuff like config files, and scorefiles..
#
#  Change etc/whatever/scorefile to @unxec rm -f etc/whatever/scorefile

Thats what I've been doing.. just thought I'd ask if there was a trick like
@nomd5 file

#  Don't do this for config files.  It's desirable for modified config files to
#  stick around if you want to do an upgrade.

Do we need a sane way of dealing with config files?  It seems like having the
pkg_delete operation fail is going to lead to trouble when trying to make an
automated upgrade process at some point..

Perhaps we need a way to tag config files, so an upgrade keeps them from being
overwritten.. a good upgrade process would do something like copy them to /tmp
and then back out to where they were after the install..  Just thinking ahead
here.. (someone is eventually going to get stuck tackling the upgrade issue, it
would be nice if some framework was laid out for them when they do)

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html