Subject: Re: use of share vs lib
To: None <>
From: Kimmo Suominen <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/04/1998 16:20:05
I've been placing the auth files in /var/run/xdm-auth and before
starting xdm I just run "install -d -m 0775 /var/run/xdm-auth".

I find the automatic cleaning of /var/run a benefit.  Otherwise
I'd need to clean the old auth files myself.  An auth file is
created for each client, whether it actually starts a session or

+ Kim

brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu (Brook Milligan) writes:

| Perry,
|    Send a patch for our x configs and I'll apply it.
| See patch below.  Note that this patch also puts the auth files under
| /var/spool/xdm, so a new set of directories must be created for this
| to work.
| 	mkdir -p /var/spool/xdm/authdir/authfiles
| 	chmod 700 /var/spool/xdm/authdir /var/spool/xdm/authdir/authfiles
| Note that the authfiles could be put in /var/run, but the necessary
| subdirectories must be created fresh in the rc scripts since that
| directory is cleaned out on bootup.  /var/log is another option, but
| it didn't seem particularly appropriate to me as these are not really
| logs.
Kimmo Suominen