Subject: Re: The X Files [was: Re: use of share vs lib]
To: None <root@garbled.net>
From: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/04/1998 09:02:03
   DisplayManager.servers:         /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
   DisplayManager.accessFile:      /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess
   DisplayManager._0.setup:        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
   DisplayManager._0.startup:      /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/GiveConsole
   DisplayManager._0.reset:        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/TakeConsole
   DisplayManager*resources:       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources
   DisplayManager*session:         /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession
	   these are all config files.. /etc? /usr/X11R6/etc?

Yes, these are config files, but all are read-only and can be shared
across machines.  The others cannot be, because they are files written
fresh each time xdm is run.  Does it make sense to make the minimal
changes to the setup (i.e., change only those files that _cannot_ be
shared) and leave these in the default location?  That way, there
wouldn't be unnecessary differences between our X11R6 and others.

In any case, if one really needs to redirect these config files (e.g.,
to customized scripts) it is simple enough to do so as outlined
above.  It just seems to me that this will be the rare case and should
not dictate general policy.  Perhaps customizing these scripts is more
common than I realize, though.

Cheers,
Brook