Subject: Re: The X Files [was: Re: use of share vs lib]
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/04/1998 08:53:48
   Hubert Feyrer writes:
   > On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Tim Rightnour wrote:
   > > I would suggest /var/db.. they are a mini database of sorts..
   >
   > How about /var/run ?

   It was originally noted that /var/run is cleaned out after
   reboots. However, from what I can tell, aren't the auth files
   meaningless across reboots anyway?

Actually, they are meaningless across distinct logins, not just
reboots.  Their intent is to provide authorization for individual
login sessions.

/var/run is fine, but we need to add a bit to the /etc/rc script to
recreate the necessary directories on reboot.  For example, something
like the following would work:

     if checkyesno xdm; then
	     echo -n ' xdm';			xdm $xdm_flags
	     mkdir -p /var/run/xdm/authdir/authfiles
	     chmod 700 /var/run/xdm/authdir /var/run/xdm/authdir/authfiles
     fi

Cheers,
Brook