Subject: Re: use of share vs lib
To: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/03/1998 15:31:38
Brook Milligan writes:
> See patch below.  Note that this patch also puts the auth files under
> /var/spool/xdm,

> Note that the authfiles could be put in /var/run, but the necessary
> subdirectories must be created fresh in the rc scripts since that
> directory is cleaned out on bootup.  /var/log is another option, but
> it didn't seem particularly appropriate to me as these are not really
> logs.

They aren't really "spool files" either. "spool" is really for things
like the mail queue, print queue, etc. Perhaps someone could suggest a
better directory for them? What are the auth files, precisely?

> so a new set of directories must be created for this
> to work.
>
> 	mkdir -p /var/spool/xdm/authdir/authfiles
> 	chmod 700 /var/spool/xdm/authdir /var/spool/xdm/authdir/authfiles

The right way to create this is by modifying the NetBSD mtree
file. Once we have settled on the exact location, do you suppose you
could send a patch for that as well? (It speeds up the patching
process. :)

Perry