Subject: Re: Possible new category "cross"?
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/03/1998 07:47:30
On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: > Before I actually start adding this to pkgsrc, I'd like to propose adding a
: > new category for all of it:  "cross".  All pkgs in cross would also be pkgs
: > for the "lang" category, but the cross subdirectory of pkgsrc would be only
: > for cross-development pkgs.
:
: I'd rather see this in the devel category, then add CATEGORIES+=cross if
: necessary.

Well, I preferred a new primary category because I actually have 12 cross
pkgs so far ans a desire to create ~10 or so more already.  The potential to
pollute devel with way too many subdirectories is there.  As a separate
category, the intent is clear (and also, the names can be abbreviated to
remove the cross- prefix).

: These links smell like trouble to me... what if I have one crosscomp. pkg
: installed, and want a second one installed?

Uh, they have different subdirectories (excepting those things in
/usr/pkg/bin)?

Read the mail you were cc:'d on about the layout of a cross pkg.  I think my
original explanation was probably too confusing.