Subject: re: Possible new category "cross"?
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/03/1998 07:44:06
On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, matthew green wrote:

: i'd rather we used the `GNU' cross-compile install targets as-is, as they
: basically work the right way and all the tools support this already.  that
: is, given ``--target=xx-yy'', we have:
:
: 	$prefix/bin/xx-yy-$PROG
: 	$prefix/lib/gcc-lib/xx-yy
: 	$prefix/xx-yy/bin/$PROG
: 	$prefix/xx-yy/include

Well, I wanted to keep from having a bunch of <targetname> directories
directly under /usr/pkg, and I wanted to keep the gcc-lib directory with the
rest of the cross stuff for a given target (the
lib/gcc-lib/target/egcs-version crap I always loathed, and it goes right
along with that "polluting ${PREFIX}/lib" discussion).

My changes to the "standard" GNU layout are as follows:

$prefix/bin/xx-yy-$PROG -> (unchanged)
$prefix/lib/gcc-lib/xx-yy/egcs-A.BB.CC/* -> $prefix/cross/xx-yy/gcc-lib/*
$prefix/xx-yy/bin/ -> $prefix/cross/xx-yy/bin/
$prefix/xx-yy/include/ -> $prefix/cross/xx-yy/include/
$prefix/xx-yy/lib/ -> $prefix/cross/xx-yy/lib/

Again, there's no manpages or info files.  The targetname-progname binaries
are still in $prefix/bin, but everything else goes into four subdirectories
under a directory in $prefix/cross.