Subject: Re: Possible new category "cross"?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/03/1998 07:57:59
On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:
> Before I actually start adding this to pkgsrc, I'd like to propose adding a
> new category for all of it:  "cross".  All pkgs in cross would also be pkgs
> for the "lang" category, but the cross subdirectory of pkgsrc would be only
> for cross-development pkgs.

I'd rather see this in the devel category, then add CATEGORIES+=cross if
necessary.

> to the appropriate program (cc, as, ld, and so forth), and the actual
> programs, includes, and libraries would be held underneath
> pkgs would install manpages or .info files unless they are different from
> the "standard" egcs documentation set (which may become its own pkg).

These links smell like trouble to me... what if I have one crosscomp. pkg
installed, and want a second one installed?

Why not put things directly into /usr/pkg/bin, with the programs named as
appropriate (maybe with the exception of gcc, which could snarf in the
right files (via some -b/-B switch) from /usr/pkg/lib/gcc-lib/arch-os...)?

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>