Subject: Re: xpkgwedge vs. USE_X11 vs. ?
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/01/1998 09:50:08
On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Tim Rightnour wrote:

: This isn't of course.. allways the case.. tcsh 6.04 used imake to build, and if
: you think about it, it works nicely..

It had a "Makefile.dist" that could be modified if imake was not available.
(I remember modifying it many a time.... :)

: And hardcoding a makefile to get around wierd logic in our pkg tree
: seems counterproductive to me.  The mechanics are there to automate the
: build and make it easy.. why must we complexify the pkg creation process
: so much?

: What I don't want to end up with here, is a pkg system that is a wonder to
: behold, but can't be comprehended by anyone.

That's precisely why I believe what I said before:  if it uses imake and X,
okay, but if it should be useable by non-X systems, it _cannot_ use imake.
Adding an extra level of abstraction for "imake without X" is both adding
more confusion and Wrong, as it removes the possibility of a non-X system
using the package.

AFAIK, almost all of the non-X software that used Imake also provided an
alternative modifiable Makefile for no-imake systems.  At least, every
package I ran into did.