Subject: Re: use of share vs lib
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/1998 20:05:54
On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

: > Look at a pkg like ssh.  It installs a bunch of binaries, then generates it's
: > magical key, and installs config files in /etc.
:
: And btw, it MUST leave those files in /etc/ for configuration reasons.

That's not necessarily true.  I was always of the opinion that we should
have adopted FreeBSD's convention of putting them in ${PREFIX}/etc - after
all, everything else has its config info there, so why not ssh?

And if the argument about sharing /usr/pkg comes up in relation to that,
just remember that symlinks exist, and ssh isn't the only program that has
the sharing problem with ${PREFIX}/etc .... :>