Subject: Re: xpkgwedge vs. USE_X11 vs. ?
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/1998 16:27:00
On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: OK, here's how I understand things after doing so:
: We use PREFIX for referenging to a pkg's own files.

Right.

: For other libs & includes, we'll use LOCALBASE and X11BASE as
: appropriate. This implies I know a pkg is in LOCALBASE or X11BASE - is
: this intended?

It's not intended, but there's no way around it.  Hence, if you want
something installed by an X11 pkg, you use _both_.  If you want something
installed by a non-X11 pkg, you're safe using only LOCALBASE.

: So USE_X11 to indicate this really wants X to compile run and
: make USE_IMAKE independent of this to get the X configuring stuff invoked?

Well, USE_IMAKE is really just a superset of USE_X11.  And:

: With the result that each one might be set individually but that one
: doesn't imply the other (some Imake-pkgs that don't use the X window
: system come to my mind - tcsh, ...). Does this make sense?

Anything that _must_ use imake should depend on X, because that's where
imake is.  tcsh has a GNU-style configure system, too.  So, if it really
doesn't use X except for imake, make a Makefile out of a patchfile.  8-)