Subject: Re: xpkgwedge vs. USE_X11 vs. ?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/1998 21:41:45
On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:
> : What for do we need PREFIX if we knokw it's == LOCALBASE all the time?
> Check the stuff I added to Packages.txt in, uh, section 9.1.

OK, here's how I understand things after doing so:
We use PREFIX for referenging to a pkg's own files. For other libs &
includes, we'll use LOCALBASE and X11BASE as appropriate. This implies I
know a pkg is in LOCALBASE or X11BASE - is this intended? (Sure if
xpkgwedge is installed and X11BASE is set to LOCALBASE, this won't matter
much, but what if not?)

> : > Right, but there's a chunk of pkgs that couldn't care less to be in
> : > /usr/X11R6, regardless of whether xpkgwedge is in the system.
> :
> : Er, which ones? Can you please give me some examples to help me
> : understand? :>
>
> Off the top of my head ... xneko, amiwm.  They don't use imake, and use X.
> They can go arbitrarily in /usr/pkg.  But....
>
> : > Should we
> : > just use USE_X11 for all of them, and put all X-using pkgs in /usr/X11R6 (if
> : > xpkgwedge isn't installed)?  This could be cleaner to do it that way.
> :
> : Well, didn't you say we get dependencies on xpkgwedge for all X pkgs
> : anyways? So why care for a case where it's not installed?
>
> Because not all X pkgs have USE_X11, which is what I was asking about.
> Should we just add the flag to all X-dependent pkgs, and X pkgs would always
> install in /usr/X11R6 on non-xpkgwedge systems?  That way we wouldn't have
> to split USE_X11 into "this pkg uses X" and "this pkg should be installed
> with X" flags.  Just using USE_X11 on all X pkgs seems cleaner.

*nod*
So USE_X11 to indicate this really wants X to compile run and
make USE_IMAKE independent of this to get the X configuring stuff invoked?
With the result that each one might be set individually but that one
doesn't imply the other (some Imake-pkgs that don't use the X window
system come to my mind - tcsh, ...). Does this make sense?

> And remember, I'm straddling two worlds here:  one with /usr/X11R6 as an
> install path for X pkgs, and one with /usr/pkg.  8-)

Yes. It's complicated, but I try to keep up .)

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>