Subject: Re: xpkgwedge vs. USE_X11 vs. ?
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/1998 15:18:34
On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: This doesn't really answer my question.
: What for do we need PREFIX if we knokw it's == LOCALBASE all the time?

We don't know that.

xpkgwedge is optional, not mandatory, because there are perfectly valid
reasons for wanting third party software (particularly includes and
libraries) to be in /usr/X11R6.

Check the stuff I added to Packages.txt in, uh, section 9.1.

: > Right, but there's a chunk of pkgs that couldn't care less to be in
: > /usr/X11R6, regardless of whether xpkgwedge is in the system.
:
: Er, which ones? Can you please give me some examples to help me
: understand? :>

Off the top of my head ... xneko, amiwm.  They don't use imake, and use X.
They can go arbitrarily in /usr/pkg.  But....

: > Should we
: > just use USE_X11 for all of them, and put all X-using pkgs in /usr/X11R6 (if
: > xpkgwedge isn't installed)?  This could be cleaner to do it that way.
:
: Well, didn't you say we get dependencies on xpkgwedge for all X pkgs
: anyways? So why care for a case where it's not installed?

Because not all X pkgs have USE_X11, which is what I was asking about.
Should we just add the flag to all X-dependent pkgs, and X pkgs would always
install in /usr/X11R6 on non-xpkgwedge systems?  That way we wouldn't have
to split USE_X11 into "this pkg uses X" and "this pkg should be installed
with X" flags.  Just using USE_X11 on all X pkgs seems cleaner.

And remember, I'm straddling two worlds here:  one with /usr/X11R6 as an
install path for X pkgs, and one with /usr/pkg.  8-)