Subject: Re: xpkgwedge vs. USE_X11 vs. ?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/1998 21:10:27
On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:
> : Hum - do we use PREFIX then at all? Or just steer clear of it, and, use
> : LOCALBASE everywhere, and just use X11BASE when we need to get to X stuff?
> Actually, let me clarify a bit.  You should use PREFIX to refer to the pkg's
> own installation, which is of course always correct.  However, when
> constructing arguments to the compiler to find includes and libraries, you
> should only use X11BASE (or both X11BASE and LOCALBASE) to ensure that you
> get the Right directories, no matter whether the library dependency was
> installed in X11BASE or LOCALBASE.

This doesn't really answer my question.
What for do we need PREFIX if we knokw it's == LOCALBASE all the time?

> : > Two different variables would help here - one that just says "uses X11" and
> : > one that says "needs to be installed with X11 distribution directories," if
> : > xpkgwedge were not in use.  The latter would probably be needed most for
> : > pkgs which install includes and libraries.
> :
> : The latter's what's already in bsd.pkg.mk (but not in pkg_add) to stop
> : things happening if there's no X installed.
>
> Right, but there's a chunk of pkgs that couldn't care less to be in
> /usr/X11R6, regardless of whether xpkgwedge is in the system.

Er, which ones? Can you please give me some examples to help me
understand? :>

> Should we
> just use USE_X11 for all of them, and put all X-using pkgs in /usr/X11R6 (if
> xpkgwedge isn't installed)?  This could be cleaner to do it that way.

Well, didn't you say we get dependencies on xpkgwedge for all X pkgs
anyways? So why care for a case where it's not installed?

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>