Subject: Re: use of share vs lib
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/1998 13:10:26
David Brownlee writes:
> 	How about moving the pkg db files out of /var, maybe to /etc.
>
> 	Having system config in /var makes me nervous (Game hiscores are
> 	less of a concern :)

This issue comes up periodically. My only question with it is that I'm
not sure that the pkg db files are really being handled right *at
all*. Among other things, we deal very poorly with the question of
mounting a /usr/pkg on multiple hosts. Perhaps they belong in
/usr/pkg/etc/pkg/ or something so that they are with the things they
logically describe. "Or maybe not". Some of our packages (like bash)
want to touch things like your /etc/shells file.

The problem, I suspect, is that most of us aren't dealing with large
scale system administration issues, and thus don't have a reasonable
handle on what we need here. People who operate fleets of NetBSD boxes
probably have a better understanding.

.pm