Subject: Re: use of share vs lib
To: Jim Bernard <jbernard@ox.mines.edu>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/1998 22:50:43
  |   Use share for machine independent (generally plain ascii) files, and use
  | libdata for machine dependent files.  lib should be reserved exclusively
  | for code libraries.

This is too narrow minded.   "lib" is (always has been) for libraries,
which does not mean only .a files (and .so etc, of course).

Those kinds of libraries are really just data for "ld" to use, and aren't
intrinsically different from any other machine (architecture) dependant
data file that any program might need.   libdata isn't needed, all the
stuff that might be thought to go there works just as well in lib
(libexec is only really useful because it makes it that little bit easier
to find things when they need to be run by hand, otherise we could do
without it as well)

kre

ps: game score files belong in /var somewhere.