Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/25/1998 12:22:26
On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Tim Rightnour wrote:
> anything else to do the same..  Having mysql run itself is fine.. just shut the
> !@#$ thing off before leaving the config.. I don't like finding out I have a
> service I didn't even know was running on my machine a few days later..

Sure not, but you decide to have the service when you pkg_add/make
install whatever you're doing.

I've helped setting up some machine for some Linux wheenie recently, and
wow was he surprised some things did *not* work out of the box after
pkg_add... certainly things like adding things to config files like the
apache modules.

You wouldn't mind any shell-pkg modifying /etc/shells either.

The deal if the pkg system was and is to make things for _users_ as easy
as possible. Introducing any additional manual intervention is bad.

Said that, someone should add some sane config files to our fvwm2 pkg,
and probably others as well.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>