Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/24/1998 23:00:09
On 25-Jul-98 Curt Sampson spoke unto us all:
#  On the other hand, httpd config files are pretty site-specific
#  documents in many ways, and I'd be hesitant to make the next sighup
#  run the code just because it's installed; what if the person
#  installed it in order to add it to the test web server on the
#  machine, rather than the production one?
#

I have a severe problem with pkgs that either run thier binarys automaticly
(mysql) or make changes to existing config files (aside from frivolous stuff
like rplay).

If you are going to go injecting code in someone's web server.. you had either
better warn them, make it interactive and optional "do you want me to inject
this?" or provide a "inject" script and tell the user "run this to inject the
needed configs into your config file /usr/pkg/etc/foo.conf"

For example.. I certainly wouldn't expect samba to run itself and start
broadcasting my directories across the net.. Just like you wouldn't expect
anything else to do the same..  Having mysql run itself is fine.. just shut the
!@#$ thing off before leaving the config.. I don't like finding out I have a
service I didn't even know was running on my machine a few days later..

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html