Subject: Re: Libtool stuff
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/23/1998 15:51:52
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:
> .if defined(USE_LIBTOOL)
> LIBTOOL?=	${LOCALBASE}/bin/libtool
> BUILD_DEPENDS+=	${LIBTOOL}:../../devel/libtool
> CONFIGURE_ENV+=	LIBTOOL=${LIBTOOL}
> MAKE_ENV+=	LIBTOOL=${LIBTOOL}
> .endif

If the LIBTOOL variable is not used elsewhere, I'd rather say to spell it
out in these three cases to prevent having one more variable hanging
around.

> (note LOCALBASE instead of PREFIX - that one bit me on a couple X11 pkgs).
> Without objection, I'll add this to bsd.pkg.mk and lint out the pkg
> Makefiles to use it uniformly.

... and Packages.txt and portlint (pkglint??? X-).

> What I'm looking for is possible opinions to the contrary - and why.  If
> there's resounding support to revert to the default libtool behavior of
> installing .la files, I'll be happy to change it back.

Hu, basically you're right and the .la files are really unneeded.
However, if 3rd party software insists on using it, alas, so be it.
(I don't really care...!)

As far as I see KDE is right now the only one that insists on these files
- how was this done before we switched over to libtool?

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>