Subject: Re: Packages replacing NetBSD commands
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/19/1998 09:42:21
: > Instead of integrating YAPS (yet another protocol suite), with more source
: > to CVS-merge, IMHO it would be better as a pkg except for the reason above.
: > That doesn't preclude the gripe that sysinst doesn't install pkgs yet...  :>
:
: The thought was that, since we ship w/ Netatalk kernel support, we should
: ship with Netatalk userland support. Also, Netatalk is a much more useful
: and widely used protocol than the other non-IP ones we support. So it's
: not like we're throwing in something which only three people will use.

Well, I rather gathered that - I've run into AppleTalk several times in my
life.

I suppose my original point was that having both suites as pkgs avoids this
problem altogether.  I understand the rationale for putting one of them into
the base set; of course, if sysinst knew about pkgs, that could become moot
as well.

Let me ask you this, then:  Do the AppleTalk binaries really "conflict" in
such a way that someone who installs the "other" suite via pkg and modifies
startup scripts to point to the pkg binaries would be screwed?  The shared
library name could always be modified for the pkg-based binaries....

There's many pkgs out there that install similarly-functioning binaries to
the base system, renamed or not.  gmake, m4, egcs-current, rdist6 come to
mind.