Subject: Re: Use of libtool in pkgs (correction)
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@ox.mines.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/16/1998 10:41:06
On 7 16, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> > And in fact, could it be put in CVS in the top directory of pkgsrc?
>
> No.
> The README file there will point you where to find it. Beyond that,
> Packages.txt is intended to be part of the NetBSD documentation that's
> available on the web.

  Please don't get into the habit of thinking that the web is a convenient
way to access documentation.  Starting up ppp and a multi-megabyte web
browser to read a plain text file over a 14.4 modem connection is not my idea
of convenient.  Also, I oppose the idea of distributing the pieces of the
documentation in different locations, when it would be a lot more convenient
for users and maintainers to have it all in one place.  It's nice from a PR
point of view to have a useful web site, but please don't weaken the rest
of the system to achieve that goal.

  Why not keep the master copy of Packages.txt in the cvs tree and have the
web copy automatically updated from it?