Subject: RE: Use of libtool in pkgs
To: Todd Vierling <>
From: Tim Rightnour <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/16/1998 05:46:12
On 14-Jul-98 Todd Vierling spoke unto us all:
#  =====
#  For the linking of the library, remove any "ar", "ranlib", and "ld
#  -Bshareable" commands, and use instead:
#    ${LIBTOOL} --mode=link cc -o ${} ${OBJS:.o=.lo} -rpath
#  ${PREFIX}/lib -version-info major:minor
#  Note that the library is changed to have a .la extension, and the objects
#  are changed to have a .lo extension.  Change OBJS as necessary.  This
#  automatically creates all of the .a, .so.major.minor, and ELF symlinks (if
#  necessary) in the build directory.

Ok.. I'll bite..  I'm trying to build mysql on alpha.  (so far, its still
going) it builds fine if I replace -Bforcearchive with --whole-archive.
However..  --whole-archive doesn't work on my i386-1.3   So..  how do you cope
with this with libtool?  Does it do it automagically?

Tim Rightnour    -