Subject: Re: adding Xaw3d
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/16/1998 00:28:25
On 16-Jul-98 Hubert Feyrer spoke unto us all:
#  Not that I'd really intended to add the above (which I indentet to type
#  as PREFERRED_XAW, of course :) - what do you mean? More PREFERRED_XXX
#  variables? For which ones besides Xaw? (Just asking out of curiousity and
#  to get an overview :)
#

No I agree.  Adding another tunable parameter would just be a hack.  What is
needed is a table built into the pkg logic for OR dependencies.  Something like
this:

pkgs are slightly modified, so that the Makefile contains something like:
USE_XAW= yes
then, when bsd.pkg.mk sees that, it checks the pkg_db for which Xaw lib is
installed.  If you have none, it assumes Xaw and leaves everything alone.
If you have Xaw3d installed, we have some sort of marking of files that need to
be sed replaced from -lXaw to -lXaw3d.  maybe something like replacing
occurances of -lXaw with ${XAW} then letting bsd.pkg.mk set the variable and
pass it down to lower level makes.

The big lose here, is that Imake constructs the Makefiles with -lXaw wedged in
place.

For Xaw I could come up with a better way of doing this.. but I'm trying to
solve future problems too here.  I dunno.. was just an idea.. trying to get
some out on the field here..

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html