Subject: RE: Things That Suck About pkgsrc, part 3
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/15/1998 07:34:13
On 13-Jul-98 Charles M. Hannum spoke unto us all:
#  Consider what happens when I give Joe Random a CD.  They install
#  NetBSD.  Now say they want to install `sudo'.  *Where* do they look?
#  I'm sure that on reading this, lots of people will say or think `in
#  pkgsrc', but Joe Random *doesn't know that*.  Even if he manages to
#  figure out that's what's on the second CD, he still doesn't know how
#  to use it.

I've been investigating doing something about this.. but I really have nothing
solid planned.  Mainly I was thinking of extending sysinst to be more
smit-like, and have it possible to install pkgs from there directly.  This
right now.. is totally emryonic.. I'm not sure I'll have time for it even..

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html