Subject: Re: super-pkgs...
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/15/1998 07:44:44
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>  wrote:
 > > 	make news-server
 >
 > The implementation of this as I see it would rather be by using the pkg
 > system again: Just make a pkg (something like pkgsrc/netbsd/news-server
 > etc.) that has DEPENDS lines in it for the pkgs it depends on, and then
 > let "make install" or pkg_add slurp everything in.  Configuration can be
 > done with INSTALL/DEINSTALL scripts.
 >
 > I do not see any sense in making seperate targets for this.
 >
 > (Esp. for when we end up with pkgsrc/netbsd/base etc/ .-)
 >

 > Another solution would be (I'm thinking about some browser-like setup
 > like the one that Solaris has) that you first decide what you want
 > (enduser-system, developer, some server), and based on this get a list of
 > all available pkgs with some already selected to install. That way you
 > wouldn't even need these "super-pkgs".

I like the second idea actually... that lets people "in the know" tailor
the overall setup somewhat.

 > > 	make news-server
 > > 		Would build:
 > >
 > > 			inn
 > >
 > > 		And point to a post-install document that outlines how to
 > > 		continue the setup. Maybe even asks who your feeders are,
 > > 		and so forth. Or even just points to the relevant resources
 > > 		on how to properly setup a news-server.
 >
 > A slight bit of overkill for one pkg, but why not. :)

well, I'm sure there are other things that want to be in there eventually...

 > > 	make pc-file-server
 > >
 > > 		Would build:
 > > 			Samba
 > > 			NetAtalk bins (these should be in the tree)
 > > 			misc/amanda
 > >
 > > 		And ask you some simple questions like:
 > > 			what is your workgroup
 > > 			what filesystems do you want to export.
 > > 			what printers are on your machine?
 > > 			what printers do you want to export?
 >
 > what your tape drive for backups is
   what hosts/filesystems you want to backup.

 > > 	make desktop/kde
 > >
 > > 		Would build:
 >
 > What does all this lot have to do w/ a desktop or kde?
 > I guess syou just want some pkgs for enduser and maybe developer.

yeah. I was thinking "if I was setting up a bunch of machines that people
are going to sit on all day and use for their work, what goodies would I
want them to have?"

like a 'desktop machine'.