Subject: Things That Suck About pkgsrc
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/13/1998 09:58:23
* pkg_info should at least have the option of separating pkgs by
  category.

* The current use of categories kind of blows.  In particular:

  * There is no distinction between `GUI libraries' and `X
    applications' (whereas tty-based display libraries go in `devel').

  * There are applications stuck in the x11 directory simply because
    they use X.  E.g., x3270 really ought to be in `net', or something
    like a `mainframe support' category.

  * On a similar note, there's too much in the `net' category.  The
    chat and MUD clients (icb, ircII, sirc, tinyfugue, zephyr), at
    least, should be separate.

* Since bsd.pkg.mk overrides INSTALL_PROGRAM for all packages using
  `configure', any packages which use autoconf's INSTALL_PROGRAM to
  install scripts fail, because the INSTALL_PROGRAM we supply includes
  `-s'.  (I had to hack around this for fetchmail and rpm.)