Subject: Re: Cross-compiling packages
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/02/1998 12:25:08
On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> : I've got an i386 I've set up for cross-compiling. I'm trying to now
> : cross-compile packages.
>
> "Completely broken."  "Not worth your time."  Something on my list of things
> to look at, but by, say, NetBSD 2.1.  You'll find that about 20-30% is
> probably cross compilable to a different ${MACHINE_ARCH} but the rest is
> horrifically broken.

Could we then add some flag to the package Makefile to indicate if it it's
cross-compilable? I'm not sure what values would work since results could
depend both on the source and destination architectures. But if we get an
entry in there, folks can try to fill it in as apporopriate.

> : Also, the example mk.conf has tabs in the ZIP_ENCRYPTION sample comments.
> : Should I zap them, or would one of the pkg folks rather do it?
>
> Huh?  What's wrong with tabs?

In Makefile's, tabs mark lines assumed to be shell commands associated
with a target. Or at least that's what I gather from the error messages.

Here's the end of my /etc/mk.conf:

#ZIP_ENCRYPTION=                # Add encryption code to zip, zip1, and unzip
                                # Possible: defined, not defined
                                # Default: not defined
                                # Default: not defined

Because of how I pasted, both lines in this message have leading spaces.
But in the file, the first "Default" line has spaces and the second has
all tabs.

Here's what a make in a package gives:

vespasia# make
"/etc/mk.conf", line 175: Unassociated shell command "# Default: not defined"
"/etc/mk.conf", line 175: Unassociated shell command "# Default: not defined"
Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

Changing the tabs to spaces cures the problem. :-)

Take care,

Bill