Subject: Odd problem with a new 1.3.2 system...
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/23/1998 16:15:47
I've recently installed 1.3.2 on a fresh i386 box, and I've encountered
a bit of a problem. Using the default mutt package means installing the
ncurses package. Unfortunately, when build with ncurses, mutt consistently
gives me a message more or less like "unable to open terminal: vt100." I
don't remember the exact message, but I'll reproduce the circumstances if
it would be helpful.

The lynx package produced exactly the same problem. In both cases, I had to
modify the package to get it to work. (I couldn't get mutt to compile with
neither S-Lang nor ncurses, so I used S-Lang. I get some vaguely funky
interactions with slang, though, so I'm going to try an older mutt or some-

Hm... Thinking about it, I don't know that I tried to run either program
outside of screen. Maybe that's an issue... There's a good possibility that
I did try mutt without screen, however, since I definitely remember wanting
to compile all my commonly-used programs before running screen... I don't
know. I'm at work now. I'll try it again once I'm home.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Mason Loring
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments
 dropped from day's caravan."--Rabindranath Tagore...awake ? sleep : dream;