tech-perform archive

Re: Problem identified: WAPL/RAIDframe performance problems

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 10:14:58PM +0100, J. Hannken-Illjes wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2012, at 9:20 PM, Brian Buhrow <buhrow%nfbcal.org@localhost> wrote:
>
> >     Hello.  If running 5.1 or 5.2 is acceptable for you, you could run
> > ffs+softdep since it has all the namei fixes in it.
>
> I suppose running fsck on a 6 TByte file system will take hours and
> softdep needs this after a crash.

Well, the journal doesn't always avoids the fsck, it depends on the king
of the crash (if it's a panic in filesystem code I know I want to run
fsck anyway :)

Also, the fsck time depends a lot of the filesystems parameters.
A 9Tb filesystem formatted -O2 -b 32k -f4k -i1000000 can be checked
in less than one hour.