tech-perform archive

fork performance

So, with a slightly closer look, a guess and some tests to verify my guess, and
I think I have found my performance problem converting the NetBSD CVS
repositories to Mercurial.

The CVS server forks once for each command it receives, and it receives a lot
of commands. NetBSD fork(2) seems to be much slower than OS X fork(2). Since
the cvs server never execs anything, vfork isn't an option. I have implemented
a program that can do the CVS log extraction efficiently and correctly (i.e.
without forking), but extracting the versioned data itself isn't trivial.

Cheers,
Lloyd