tech-perform archive

Re: Ruby Benchmarks

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 09:07:03PM +0200, Zafer AydoÄan wrote:
> 03 EylÃl 2009 15:55 tarihinde, Zafer AydoÄan <zafer%aydogan.de@localhost> adlÄ
> kullanÄcÄ Åunu yazmÄÅ:
> > 03 EylÃl 2009 00:07 tarihinde, Zafer AydoÄan <zafer%aydogan.de@localhost>
> > adlÄ
> > kullanÄcÄ Åunu yazmÄÅ:
> >> Hello Folks,
> >>
> >> here are a few charts benchmarking Ruby on FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD
> >> and Linux done by Jaime Fournier (ober@), hosted by me:
> >>
> >> http://www.aydogan.net/ruby/mauthesis.com/ruby_bench/
> >>
> >> Please have a look. NetBSD is doing very well.
> >>
> >> Cheers, Zafer.
> >>

> > I have updated the Benchmarks. They include now OpenSolaris and
> > DragonflyBSD.
> >
> > http://www.aydogan.net/ruby/mauthesis.com/ruby_bench/
> >
> > The old benchmarks are available here:
> >
> > http://www.aydogan.net/ruby/mauthesis.com/ruby_bench_old/
> >
> > Thanks go to ÂJaime Fournier for doing the benchmarks.
> >
> > Cheers, Zafer.
> >

> Some Quick-stats for the new benchmark:
>
> >From the 56 different tests
>
> Scores best:
>
> Linux 29 times
> NetBSD 23 times
> DragonflyBSD 3 times
> FreeBSD 1 time

That's a bit disappointing, I must admit:) What FreeBSD version did you
guys test? If this was 8.0-BETA, you must remember that all kind of
debuging is on and will be turned off just before the release.
I read there is no WITNESS and INVARIANTS in the kernel, but for example
malloc will fill each allocated byte with 0xa5 and also every byte that
is freed. This has huge performance impact. To turn off this particular
behaviour one has to do the following:

        # ln -s jz /etc/malloc.conf

I'm not sure if that all, but it's definiately a good start.

pjd%FreeBSD.org@localhost                           http://www.FreeBSD.org