Subject: Re: PostgreSQL
To: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-perform
Date: 02/03/2006 10:12:28
--JbaLeU65fPBt7QWN

On Thursday,  2 February 2006 at 11:25:13 +0100, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:43:50 +0900 (JST)
> Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Marcin Jessa wrote:
>>> What threading model will be used
>>
>> PostgreSQL does not use threads; it uses a separate process for each
>> connection. So how well or poorly the OS performs with threads is
>> irrelevant.
>
> Yes, I was attenting a lecture about PostgreSQL just two days ago when
> this was mentioned and I realized that a minute after I sent this
> email...

At some level it's irrelevant.  But it would be nice to see which
approach works better for a given architecture.  In general, older
database systems use processes because at the time no good threading
systems were available.  Newer systems tend to use threads.  It would
be nice to know if this was a good choice.

Greg

--JbaLeU65fPBt7QWN

--JbaLeU65fPBt7QWN--